Skip to main content

The Last Goodbye

Last week was hard. 



Last week I had to say goodbye to my Grandad. 


My whole life I’ve been fortunate enough to say that both sets of my grandparents were alive. Until last week.


My Grandad has been in and out of hospital for the last 20 years. It started with a heart attack all those years ago. He’s had numerous different things that have taken him in there. Two weeks ago he went in with a chest infection. Last Monday he decided himself that he wanted to stop the medication. Last Monday he told me how proud he was of us all and I told him how proud of him we were and that we all loved him so very, very much. By the time the evening came around he could no longer speak and was out for the count with the medication he was on. 


I was so very lucky to be able to say my goodbyes to him. So many people don’t get that opportunity. Myself and my Dad stayed with him over night to make sure someone was with him. At 6.30 on Tuesday morning we went home to freshen up and get some rest. After having a shower and getting my make up back on to make sure that I would be ready for when we would inevitably got the call, my Mum phoned to say they had just had the call to go back in again. 


We sat with him from 8.30. At 1pm I said to my Dad, who was becoming increasingly upset, which was completely understandable, that we should go get some coffee and fresh air for 5 mins. We did just that and as we had just finished some food we were told to go back up to the ward urgently. 


The world slowed down. The lift door opened soo slowly I had to force it open quicker. We were delayed going through the ward doors, so much so I had to ask a passing member of staff to open it. 


By the time we got back to him, he had already taken his final breath. He wasn’t alone though. My Mum was with him. He opened his eyes, looked at her, closed them and took his last 2 breaths before leaving us.


He looked so peaceful. He no longer had to fight. He had been so strong for so long. 


I will always be grateful I had that time. Sleep peaceful Grandad, you can rest easy now. 

X

Comments

Post a Comment